Thursday, November 11, 2004

MSN Web Messenger

MSN Web Messenger

I just found a new version of Messenger, "MSN Web Messenger". It's web based, zero install. A bit slow when you first load it, but it comes good. Kicks butt!

You lose some stuff, like no tray icon to tell you when people come online, and no flashing titlebar on the taskbar when people talk (although you still get the sounds). Also, first time startup is slow even over broadband. Once it gets going it's fine.

But overall very much like standard messenger, without all the crap of installation; just access it from anywhere. Bear in mind it's in beta, likely to change. Nice stuff!

The only thing I have a real concern with is that I usually use Simp to encrypt my messenger communication (www.secway.fr, and look for the free version for personal use, Simp Lite, it's excellent!), because normal messenger communication goes out in the clear to Microsoft's servers and back. I don't think you could encrypt web based messenger traffic.

But I'm not nutso about encryption. I can install normal messenger on machines I regularly use and also install simp, and live with in-the-clear messaging when I use other boxen. That'll be ok.

But really, I'm raving at this point. Go try it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home